Sunday, June 8, 2014

Pin-tastic Saturday part 2

While all my children were playing nicely I tried out another Pinteret idea I had really wanted to do. Pretty much the only toy that Isabella still plays with are her dolls. Some of the dolls have some ratty hair! I had seen a recipe for doll hair detangler so I decided to try it. Here is where I got the idea : 

http://buttonsandbirds.blogspot.de/2012/03/majic-doll-detangler.html

I had a 6oz spray bottle and I used 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon fabric softener and filled the rest up with water. I decided to try this recipe out on one of my old dolls (Kid Sister who is 25+ years old) rather than trying it on an American Girl doll first.

Scary huh? I covered a table with a towel and started spraying. I used the entire 6 ounces and the hair was dripping wet. 

I first just started brushing away but realized I needed to do it in sections. I separated out a section sprayed some more spray (I had made a new batch) and I brushed and brushed and brushed some more and it finally ended up looking like this:
I used a dog brush and a detangler brush but if I did it again I think I would try a wig/extension brush. The brush I used pulled some but not a lot of hair out. I ended up doing it in 4 sections and I was very pleased with the results.
After you have all the tangles out all you need to do is rinse the hair until all the fabric softener is washed out and then wait for it to air dry or blow it dry on a low setting. We decided to blow it dry.
I decided to put the hair back into the original hairstyle and she ended up looking like this  (Kid Sister is also wearing one of my favorite dresses that Isabella wore when she was about 9 months old.)
I need to trim the ends a bit but Isabella was so excited that her doll wasn't scary anymore she ran upstairs with her and played for 2 hours. This project took about 45 minutes to complete (including making the solution and blow drying and styling) but it was all worth it. I will try this on one of her American Girl dolls next!

No comments:

Post a Comment